At the junction of Durbar and Basantapur Square, this red brick, three-storey building is home to the Kumari , the girl who is selected to be the town’s living goddess until she reaches puberty and reverts to being a normal mortal. The building, in the style of the Buddhist viharas of the valley, was built in 1757 by Jaya Prakash Malla. Inside the building is Kumari Chowk , a three-storey courtyard. It is enclosed by magnificently carved wooden balconies and windows and its entrance with stone lions, making it quite possibly the most beautiful courtyard in Nepal. [Lonely Planet , http://www.lonelyplanet.com/nepal/kathma…]
It contains a miniature stupa carrying the symbols of Saraswati, the goddess of learning. Non-Hindus are not allowed to go beyond the courtyard. Kumari usually acknowledges greetings from her balcony windows.
Photo Courtesy: @pramin.osiris